The examples below give examples of how to government documents in APA format and some things to consider when citing:
- Treat a government document as a book, report, or brochure.
- If a person is named on the title page, use her or him as author.
- If no person is named, use the government agency, department, or branch as a group author (Ex. 31, p.205).
- Give the name of the group author exactly as it appears on the title page. If the branch or agency is not well known, include its higher department first.
- If the group author is also the publisher, just use the word Author after the location (p. 203).
- If there is a series or report number, include it after the title (p. 205).
- The manual refers to the GPO (U.S. Gov. Printing Office).
Author Surname, First Initial. Second Initial. OR Government Name. Name of
Government Agency. (Year). Title: Subtitle (Report No. xxx [if available]). Place of
Publication: Publisher. Retrieved from: URL
Government Document with Author
Government Document without Author
This is how you would list your references at the end of your assignment in alphabetical order by author.
Cameron, B (Minister for Corrections, Victoria) 2007, Construction begins on high security unit, media release, Victoria, 28 March,
viewed 16 April 2007, <http://www.dpc.vic.gov.au>.
Douglas, N, Douglas, G & Derrett, R (eds) 2001, Special interest groups: context and cases, John Wiley & Sons, Brisbane, Qld.
Farley, J 2008, ‘The role of prices in conserving critical natural capital', ConservationBiology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1399-1408,
viewed 23 February 2009, <http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/121544162/PDFSTART>.
Guidebook to Australian social security law 1983, CCH Australia, North Ryde, NSW.
Hatch, JA 2002, Doing qualitative research in education settings, State of , Albany.
Kneller, JP 1963a, Is logical thinking logical?, Ponsonby & Partridge, Dubbo.
----- 1963b, 'Thinking and logical interaction', Brain Logic, vol. 257, no. 4, pp. 54-62.
MacFarlane, I 2002, 'Aboriginal society in North West Tasmania: dispossession and genocide', PhD thesis, University of Tasmania.
Man with the movie camera 1998, video recording, Chatsworth, CA. Distributed by Image Entertainment. Directed by Dziga Vertov.
O'Connor, DJ 1957, An introduction to the philosophy of education, Routledge & Kegan Paul, London.
Peirson, G, Brown, R, Easton, S, Howard, P & Pinder, S 2006, Business finance, 9th edn, McGraw-Hill, North Ryde, NSW.
The search for meaning 1998, radio program, ABC Radio, Sydney, 24 March.
Treloar, D 1999, 'Grains of sense', Australian Gourmet Traveller, November, pp. 29-30, 64.
University of Tasmania Library 2010, Management library guide, University of Tasmania Library,
viewed 19 March 2010, <http://utas.libguides.com/management>.
Wallis, C 1992, 'Asymmetric dependence and mental representation', Psychology, vol. 3, no. 70,
viewed 18 November 2003,
Whiteley, BC 1979, 'Emotional response', Brain Talk, vol. 2, no. 12, pp. 234-5.