Spread the love
Because we do Search Engine Optimization – we often have to talk about the differences between short and long-form content. 700 words have been an average blog post for a while, and 1,800 – 2,500 words has become the new number to strive for to keep people on the page longer and increase your search engine ranking. So what does 700 words look like? What do 2,500 words look like?
What do 700 words, 1,800 words, and 2,500 words look like– here are photos albeit zoomed-out.
We’re sharing a little bit of a visual indicator so you can be aware of how much needs to be written – whether you’re writing a search engine optimized article, or you’re writing a paper for school. This is single spaced in Microsoft Word, but it would likely by similar in Google docs if that’s your text editor of choice.
How many pages is 700 words, 1,800 words and 2,500 words in a Word document?
- 700 words is about 1.5 to 2 pages single spaced with a few titles mixed in (3 pages double-spaced)
- 1,800 words is about 3.5 to 4 pages single spaced with a few titles mixed in (7 pages double-spaced)
- 2,500 words is about 4.5 to 5 pages Single Spaced with a few titles mixed in (10 pages double-spaced)
So you have to write a long article or paper? How to do it:
Whether we’re talking 700 words, 1800 words, 2500 words or what have you – a long article or paper is not easy to just knock out in one go unless you’re very accustomed to writing in sprees. Use a couple key tactics to get up to these long lengths:
- Gather several resources for sources before you get down to writing
- Block out the key ideas without paying super close attention to precision at first
- Don’t hold back any valuable insights for later – give as much value, and share the best ideas in sub-headlines, bulleted lists, and support your main points with significant statistics, original research, and poignant personal stories.
- Allow yourself to create a “very rough – rough draft” first before getting too ‘in your head’ about specific details
- After you have a “very rough – rough draft” start going back and editing your writing for grammar, spelling and make sure that the ideas are cohesive and tied together by a line of thought, and key idea.
- Resolve the end of the article by re-capping the key idea and sum up the whole line of thought.
Yes, 1,800 words to 2,500 words are a lot of words, and not every article requires this kind of intensity (for instance, this is a resource post with much fewer that 1,800 words. However, if you’re trying to prove a contentious point or provide the “definitive” resource on a particular subject – all of that verbiage really does allow a lot of opportunities to support your key thought.
Spread the love
Get the PDF of the book "Getting Found on Google" for free.Only the best of SEO, Web Design & Marketing
The truth is there is no definitive answer to this question. The number of words it will take to fill a page will depend on a number of factors including the type of font used, the font size, spacing elements, the margins used on the paper, the paragraph length, etc. For example, if the assignment says the writing should be in 10-point font, it’s going to take a greater number of words to fill a page than if the assignment requires a 12-point font.
For those who need a general rule of thumb, a typical page which has 1-inch margins and is typed in 12 point font with standard spacing elements will be approximately 500 words when typed single spaced. For assignments that require double spacing, it would take approximately 250 words to fill the page. For an assignment that requires you to write four pages, you can make the estimation that you’ll need to write approximately 2000 words for a single spaced paper, or 1000 words if the assignment is double spaced. Again, the type of font used can make the word count higher or lower, but it’s a good rule of thumb for those who are simply looking for a general estimation.
Since there can be a large variation on the number of words needed to fill a page, most papers are no longer assigned by page count. They are instead assigned by word count. That is, an assignment, essay or paper will likely be assigned as 1500 – 2000 words rather than 3 – 4 pages. This way it is much more difficult for the writer to “game the system” by using large fonts and excessive spacing to meet the writing criteria.
If you are given a writing assignment with a page number, the best thing to do is go directly to the person who made the assignment and ask for a word count. This will take away all the variations and help ensure your writing assignment meets expectations. If it’s for something informal and you simply need a general guideline, you can find it below.
How many pages is…
The below list is an approximation, and actual pages will differ depending on a number of factors mentioned earlier in this article. Use the below information for a general reference, but don’t assume it will be the case at all times. Here are basic word to pages conversions:
- 500 words is 1 page single spaced, 2 pages double spaced.
- 1,000 words is 2 pages single spaced 4 pages double spaced.
- 1,500 words is 3 pages single spaced, 6 pages double spaced.
- 2,000 words is 4 pages single spaced, 8 pages double spaced.
- 2,500 words is 5 pages single spaced, 10 pages double spaced.
- 3,000 words is 6 pages single spaced, 12 pages double spaced.
- 4,000 words is 8 pages single spaced, 16 pages double spaced.
- 5,000 words is 10 pages single spaced, 20 pages double spaced.
- 7,500 words is 15 pages single spaced, 30 pages double spaced.
- 10,000 words is 20 pages single spaced, 40 pages double spaced.
- 20,000 words is 40 pages single spaced, 80 pages double spaced.
- 25,000 words is 50 pages single spaced, 100 pages double spaced.
- 30,000 words is 60 pages single spaced, 120 pages double spaced.
- 40,000 words is 80 pages single spaced, 160 pages double spaced.
- 50,000 words is 100 pages single spaced, 200 pages double spaced.
- 60,000 words is 120 pages single spaced, 240 pages double spaced.
- 70,000 words is 140 pages single spaced, 280 pages double spaced.
- 75,000 words is 150 pages single spaced, 300 pages double spaced.
- 80,000 words is 160 pages single spaced, 320 pages double spaced.
- 90,000 words is 180 pages single spaced, 360 pages double spaced.
- 100,000 words is 200 pages single spaced, 400 pages double spaced.
Below are basic pages to words conversions:
- 1 page is 500 words single spaced, 250 words double spaced.
- 2 pages is 1,000 words single spaced, 500 words double spaced.
- 3 pages is 1,500 words single spaced, 750 words double spaced.
- 4 pages is 2,000 words single spaced, 1,000 words double spaced.
- 5 pages is 2,500 words single spaced, 1,250 words double spaced.
- 6 pages is 3,000 words single spaced, 1,500 words double spaced.
- 7 pages is 3,500 words single spaced, 1,750 words double spaced.
- 8 pages is 4,000 words single spaced, 2,000 words double spaced.
- 9 pages is 4,500 words single spaced, 2,250 words double spaced.
- 10 pages is 5,000 words single spaced, 2,500 words double spaced.
- 15 pages is 7,500 words single spaced, 3,750 words double spaced.
- 20 pages is 10,000 words single spaced, 5,000 words double spaced.
- 25 pages is 12,500 words single spaced, 6,250 words double spaced.
- 30 pages is 15,000 words single spaced, 7,500 words double spaced.
- 40 pages is 20,000 words single spaced, 10,000 words double spaced.
- 50 pages is 25,000 words single spaced, 12,500 words double spaced.
- 60 pages is 30,000 words single spaced, 15,000 words double spaced.
- 70 pages is 35,000 words single spaced, 17,500 words double spaced.
- 75 pages is 37,500 words single spaced, 18,750 words double spaced.
- 80 pages is 40,000 words single spaced, 20,000 words double spaced.
- 90 pages is 45,000 words single spaced, 22,500 words double spaced.
- 100 pages is 50,000 words single spaced, 25,000 words double spaced.
(Photo courtesy of Horia Varlan)